ALMOND AND TURMERIC BASMATI RICE
February 2, 2012 § Leave a comment
It’s a very popular spice in Indian dishes – main ingredient in curry – and it’s said to be effective to improve an upset stomach.
Be careful storing and using it because it can easily stain surfaces, utensils and clothes (personal experience! – Hope this works)
READY IN: 30 minutes
- 25 g. butter
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 t. turmeric
- 2 cloves
- 200 g. basmati rice
- 400 ml. vegetable stock
- 2 T. flaked almonds
- 2 frying pans
- 1 chopping board
- 1 knife
- kitchen scales
- measuring jug
- measuring spoons
- Chop 1 of the onions and the 2 garlic cloves.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan at low heat. Then add the onion and garlic cloves.
- When soft (but not brown) add 1/2 cinnamon stick, the teaspoon of turmeric and the 2 cloves.
- Cook for a minute and add the 200 g. of basmati rice.
- Stir until well coated and pour the vegetable stock.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed.
- In the meantime heat another frying pan and fry the 2 tablespoons of flaked almonds until golden.
- Chop the other onion.
- When the almonds are golden put them in a bowl and use that pan to crisp the chopped onion.
- Serve the rice and scatter the crisp onion and flaked almonds over.
Note: You can eat this recipe with one or two fried chicken breasts.
– Adapted from this recipe from BBC Good Food –