January 28, 2012 § Leave a comment
First things first –
Breakfast, the most important meal of the day, is often neglected that’s why I decided to start my blog with a breakfast recipe.
I love having a big breakfast but during the week I don’t always have time to cook much before starting work. Granola is healthy and does not need much preparation. You can make some on a Sunday and you’ll have your own homemade granola for the whole week. You can also double or triple the amounts and enjoy granola for longer.
So I found this recipe “Easy Homemade Granola” via Pinterest and decided to add brazil nuts. Also I reduced the amount of cinnamon (I’m not its biggest fan and I’d say it kills the other flavours if not used with moderation).
- 3 cups oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup nuts (I put brazil nuts)
- ½ cup seeds (I put sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ T. cinnamon
- ¼ t sea salt
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil or melted butter
- ½ T vanilla
- 1 cup dried fruit soaked in water (I put cranberries)
1. Measure and mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Mix liquid ingredients. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until coated.
3. Put the mixture into a baking dish sprayed with oil. I used a 20×20 cm baking dish.
4. Bake at 180 ºC for 20 minutes.
5. Stir and add the dried fruit.
6. Bake 20 – 25 minutes more or until golden.
7. Leave it cool and keep it in an airtight container.
8. Enjoy with some milk or yoghurt!
Note: You can also add other type of seeds (flaxseed, sesame seeds…), nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts…) and dried fruits (apricots, mango, pineapple, goji berries…) And modify the amounts. Improvise!